The Best material for Adirondack chairs
- Wood- wooden Adirondack chairs are the most popular and most widely used Adirondack chairs. Wood is loved for its durability, resilience, sophisticated and timeless look. There is a different type of wood which can be used to build Adirondack chairs such as teak, cedar, pine, acacia, oak, and wicker. Out of the above teak are an absolute favorite amongst users due to it being so strong and wind, water, and rust resistant. Teak is also the most expensive and if you want a cheap wood Adirondack chairs, you can opt for a eucalyptus wood chair ( like our no 2 pick) or an acacia wood chair ( like our no 4 pick) with similar properties like teak. The wood chairs, however, need more maintenance than other materials and need to be rubbed with teak oil frequently or they might lose their original wood color and turn into silver color.
- Recycled plastic Adirondack Chair– for environmentally friendly, recycled plastic is the best material for their Adirondack chair. Though this material feels and looks exactly like real wood, it is much better than wood when it comes to care and maintenance. This material requires almost zero maintenance. It does not lose color with time and looks as fresh as the day you first bought it in your house. This type of material also doesn’t absorb water and is mildew and mold resistant. Be it scorching heat or freezing cold, you can leave this material’s chair outside without any second thoughts. No need to varnish or repaint them, just wipe these chairs clean with a damp cloth and they are shiny as before. Normally this kind of Adirondack chairs is foldable which saves your space for better use.
- Plastic- plastic is a great pick as material for Adirondack chairs for those people who are a little tight on the budget. Plastic has its own advantages over wood. It is lightweight, more affordable, available in different color options, easy to care and maintain and more weather resistant. But plastic also doesn’t look as sophisticated as wood and that’s why people prefer to buy plastic Adirondack chairs for their kids as they tend to outgrow these chairs quickly and thus, parents don’t waste too much of money by buying an expensive kids wood Adirondack chair. Plastic chairs also come in a variety of colors and it’s nice to incorporate a pop of color in your backyard.
Different type of Adirondack chairs
- Classic style- this is your traditional looking Adirondack chair that has been in demand since its inception in 1904. With time, only minimal changes have been made to this chair to make it more comfortable
- Oversized style- as the name suggests, this is an oversized Adirondack chair to provide maximum comfort to tall and large people
- Wicker Adirondack chair- wicker due to its unique style, is a popular chair choice amongst many people. Though it can prove to be quite a task to clean wicker chair, the chair is quite durable and beautiful
- Rocker style- a rocker cum Adirondack chair to make you feel more relaxed and comfortable
- Kids Adirondack chair- beautiful Adirondack chair for your kid that is available in attractive color choices these days
- Love seat- also known as Adirondack bench. This is best suited if you don’t want to buy two Adirondack chairs for your family.
Best Adirondack chair additions
Even though Adirondack chairs are quite sufficient on their own, there are few additions to these chairs which will definitely enhance your lounging experience. Sometimes these additions are available alongside the Adirondack chairs but mostly you have to buy them separately. They complement your Adirondack chair and improve the look of your backyard as well. Let’s look at some of these additions you can buy with your Adirondack chair:
- Ottomans/ Footrest- the basic purpose of the ottoman /footrest is that people might rest their feet while lounging on their Adirondack chairs. After all, the feeling that one gets when he puts up his feet after a long day is indescribable, isn’t it? This is extremely useful if you have a knee problem or your feet tends to ache easily. Just put your feet up on these and you will be able to sit on your chair for hours without any complaints. Few of the companies make Adirondack chairs with inbuilt ottomans ( like our number 2 pick). But you can buy them separately as well at a nominal price.
More information about Adirondack chairs with footrest.
- Side tables- If you have more than one Adirondack chair in your backyard, we would advise you to get a side table. These tables are made to compliment the look of your Adirondack chairs and look absolutely flawless. Side tables are a great addition if you spend most of your summers outside lounging on your Adirondack chair. They can be used to hold your cup or glass or your book or plate of snacks while you decide to dose or just do nothing. They will help in making your backyard look uncluttered and more organized.
- Cup holder- If you have a single Adirondack chair or a small backyard or a limited budget, we would advise you to skip the side table and buy a cup/ wine holder instead. Some of the Adirondack chairs come with inbuilt cup holder ( like our number 1 pick) but you can buy them individually as well at very affordable prices. A cup holder will easily hold your glass of wine, or coffee or water while you decide to read a book or take a nap or play with your kids. You don’t have to worry about spilling your drink on your favorite chair. Just put it in the cup holder and do your thing.
- Adirondack Chair Cushions– to provide optimal comfort to your neck and head while sitting on an Adirondack chair for hours, you can buy a cushion. These cushions are available in different colors and prints to match the décor of your backyard and make your chair look more colorful and attractive. A comfortable cushion behind your head while you decide to take a short nap is an essential Adirondack chair addition. The cushions usually come with a zipper that will make it easy for you to remove them for cleaning. Most of the cushions are weather and water resistant which is an important factor to consider since you are buying them for your outdoor furniture.
Frequently Asked Questions on Adirondack Chairs
Which type of wood is best for Adirondack chairs?
If you want to buy a hardwood Adirondack chair you should opt for teak which is known for its durability. If you looking for a softwood Adirondack chair, you should opt for cedar. Cedar chairs are known to last for a long time as it is rot and insect resistant. Cedar is also moisture resistant and you will be able to keep your chair outside without the fear of it being drenched in rain and getting spoilt.
What is the best way to Paint Adirondack chairs?
If your Adirondack chair’s color has started to fade or you just want to repaint it with some other color, the process is quite easy. Painting an Adirondack chair is similar to painting any other wood furniture.
First, you clean the chair thoroughly with a damp cloth and let it dry completely.
Sand the surface of the chair using a medium grit sanding block to remove any rough spots. Once sanded, wipe the chair with a cloth to remove any dust.
Apply primer before the paint. Paint the chair completely using a paintbrush without leaving any spots or exposed area. Apply the second coat of paint if desired. Let the chair to dry out completely.
What is the best color for Adirondack chairs?
You can paint your Adirondack chair with any color of your choice. While the kids Adirondack chairs can be painted with bright, attractive colors, you can choose to paint the adult’s chairs with more subtle colors or with a color that matches the rest of your décor. You can also look on the web to find out the trending colors and paint the same.
Best Adirondack chair plans-DIY, build
If you feel that you have the woodworking skills to build your own Adirondack chairs we have for you some of the best plans that you can follow. Building an Adirondack chair yourself does not require much expertise. All you have to do is follow the plan instructions thoroughly and have the right tools. Some of the best free plans available online are
Classic Adirondack chair plan
A classic Adirondack chair is what most people desire and that’s why we have begun the list with this easy to follow instructions. The steps are detailed with colorful diagrams to make you understand better.
Adirondack chair plan by Adirondack Chair Factory
Adirondack chair plans are extremely popular. The unique twist to the classic Adirondack chair makes this plan great. If you are looking for a free plan that is as good and easy to follow like the ones available in the market for a price.
We know that a good quality Adirondack chair is expensive. The more high-quality chair you desire, the more money you need to shell out. But what if we say that you can build a magnificent looking Adirondack chair that’s going to cost you less than $10? Yes, you heard us right. We love this plan for its simplicity. The plan has been broken down into 8 easy to follow steps which make the whole process of making the chair more organized. Great plan for people who are on a budget.
Rocking Adirondack chair plan by Instructables
Instructables.com is a popular website for providing simple and easy plans to build some very attractive wooden furniture free of cost. And this one is for a rocking Adirondack chair. Rocker chairs are the best way you can improvise a classic Adirondack chair. Download this plan for easy to follow instructions and diagrams.
The pallet wood Adirondack chair plan
Another Adirondack chair plan that can be built with minimum investment. Pallets are easily found anywhere at no cost at all. This chair, when built, looks different and beautiful. A great plan for people who do not wish to spend a lot in buying a good quality Adirondack chair.
Adirondack chairs are a summer staple for most families in the USA. In Canada, they are known as Muskoka chairs. They are comfortable, classic, beautiful looking and have been around for ages. Buying an Adirondack chair is a tough choice. With so many varieties and materials available in the market, one can easily get confused especially if you do not have much experience about these chairs.
We have received the top ten best Adirondack chairs available in the market currently. Their chairs have been rated as the best by the customers who have used them. All these chairs have their own benefits and the chair you decide to buy depends on your personal needs. But no matter which Adirondack chair you choose, we guarantee you’d fall in love with this classic piece of furniture instantly.